Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Prince Caspian and Africa Memories

I saw Prince Caspian tonight. I finished reading the book before it. My personal opinion is that it was a good movie. However, compared to the book they rearranged a lot of the events. The two things that I didn't like the most was when the horn was blown which was way off and resulted in things happening differently and the other thing is an important conversation that Lucy has with Aslan is made into a dream and looses the effect and message the book gives it. Other than that great movie. The action was great and there were a lot of things that were taken straight from the book that I enjoyed: some of the lines, the bear sucking on his paw, the mice. And the action was great.

My church had rented a theater room for the night watched this movie and the veggie tale pirate movie as a fundraiser for a missions team we're sending out to Papua New Guinea. They raised over 6000 dollars and that's awesome.

Before the movie had started the we showed a some video clips of the previous trips my church has sent out. The showed some from my Malawi trip and honestly never has that place felt so far from me.

The more I try to remember all the memories and details the more that's all they're becoming. I think I revisit somethings more than others and I think that I've forgotten how certain people's personalities added to the experience without realizing it.

Eventually all I'll have is my journals and the video I got when I came back. The thing is there was so much more to the trip than what was captured on film. And although I journaled daily, I didn't write they way I do now.

I used to just write mostly what happened rather than what I was feeling and even then I wasn't always 100% honest with myself either because I was worried about how I would return to them or because I didn't want, in my frustration, write something I didn't mean against someone.

But then a lot of those things never got vented. It might have been a much sadder journal if I had and I might have started to focus a lot more on the things that weren't as important as Jesus. Still I was distracted.

The experience is fading and it makes me sad. It's not as real anymore. The scents, the people, the jokes... it's forcing me to move on but that's not really new because I've been moving on since I've been back. I want to hang on to it all and forget it at the same time. I have a paradox for a dilemma...

I'm so tired right now I need to get to bed. Good night.

1 comment:

SamanthaMarie said...

I really loved that movie, but I didn't like the kiss at the end. I doubt C.S. Lewis had anything like that in mind for Susan and Caspian :P

Sometimes I think the best part of our past experiences is when they become so distant that we can not remember everything. You probably think I'm crazy, but truly... those experiences were a building block to who we are now, but if we kept them clear in our mind and kept all of them close to our heart, we would be on overload. Plus, it would be harder to make new memories.

I'll be praying for you and this situation. Love you girl!!