Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Malawi Collage - "There's a fullout lizard on the ceiling"



This picture here is a photo I created on photoshop for school. It's a collage and my theme was my trip to Malawi this past summer that I've blogged about before. For school I had to put my name on it somewhere, and taking it off to put on here for you to see by only using paint is almost not worth the work. (You quickly become very appreciative of the tools you have on photoshop!) But I did it and I'm going to tell you about it. 

The first thing I'll mention is the cross, I went on a missions trip to spread the good news of Jesus and I wanted there to be something in there that showed it was more than a vacation. 

The picture of the girls at the side is a picture of seven of the nine girls who went, one of the other was taking the picture and and the other girl was elsewhere, don't know where actually at the time. I'm one of those girls. I'm the only one with braids still in my hair and I'm wearing a red sweater.

Two of the three pictures that are on the side were actually children that I took pictures of when I went (the two that are smaller). The other is a random girl I found a picture of on the Internet. I didn't notice it before but the two that I met actually have a slightly darker skin tone. These pictures aren't blurred but I think I used a filter called brush stroke to make them look that way. The one girl that's closest to the picture of my team was my favourite child I met there, she's so beautiful in person!

The background is a cool picture of someone who got their face painted with Africa. Pretty sweet.

The elephant was just showing how we went on safari. The food right beside it that looks like potatoes is actually a food called enshima (I have no idea if that's the right spelling). It's very filling and quite flavourless, so you eat it with sauce. It's good stuff. Some people in Africa say that they haven't eaten in a week if they haven't eaten enshima in a week (or however long). So in that sense, I may never eat again.

The last thing I want to explain, hopefully quickly, is the quote at the top. The quote is "There's a fullout lizard on the ceiling". I had to present this collage in front of my class and my teacher told me to tell the story behind it and I didn't because I really didn't want to but I'm telling you here. That's how much you mean to me (plus using paint to take out my name)... First here's a bird's eye view of the washroom:



The lines that are on an angle are doors. The one that led to where the bathtub was had no lock, actually neither of them did. The toilet didn't even get a door, it got a curtain, which is what the squiggle is.

SO back to this story. I was taking a bath and my friend Morgan was bugging me and saying that she would come in. A few minutes later, I said without thought something about there being a lizard on the ceiling. Of course, Morgan bursts in since it was the perfect opportunity for her to intrude. Morgan washes her feet in my water too while she's there. (I'm covering myself don't worry). Then, seeing the lizard she exclaims "There's a fullout lizard on the ceiling" and the picture really rips you guys off because that's only half of it. It's only really quoted because of what I said next: "Yeah, and I'm fullout naked!"

It was funny. Everyone who heard it laughed, but you can see why I wouldn't tell that story in front of my class. It's a story of me getting walked in on, and that's basically it. Hope you enjoyed it though!

2 comments:

SamanthaMarie said...

Aw girl, you have some talent! You did a great job representing your trip :) And that is a really funny story (and I wouldn't have shared it in front of my class either :D)

They are beautiful children, I really pray that one day I can go on a missions trip. Helping a child, even if for a few days, is something I think they deserve. Attention and love from some stranger, that would be powerful.

OH! And I told you my thoughts on Hephzibah, down below on that post! :)

Dragonflysoul said...

what a beautiful collage!! you really do have a gift for creativity and art. that is so awesome that you got to go to Malawi for missions. seeing other parts of the world and ministering to people of other nations must be such a life-changing experience. i'm so happy for you that you got to experience that.

like Sami, i hope and pray that one day i can go on a missions trip as well. i look forward to spreading the good news of Jesus and spreading love to people far away from here.