Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Look Deeper, Revised and 10/10

So the poem that I posted a couple blogs ago, well I'm doing a poetry unit in my English and I needed to write a poem to hand in. I modified that version so that there were more poetry devices. I'll put the revised version up in a minute. But I got ten out of ten on it and my teacher liked it so much she asked me if she could have a copy of it. I liked that! 

So this is the new (or other version) of the poem. I tried to keep it as similar to the original as I could:

Look Deeper

A smile has no definition
A smile can mean anything
Usually perceived as a sign of happiness
But they are not limited or refrained to such

A smile has no definition
And a smile can mean anything
Cheap smiles are easy to give out
Unbearable as a dreary day

I want to smile and be free
I want to shine with beauty
To be real and mean every minute of it
For my laughter to speak joy

But your distance is painful
It makes me want to cry
I long to be with you 
To hear you so simply speaking

My request is to be truly loved
That's all I want
To smile
And know that it means everything

Poetic devices:

A simile was used when I wrote, "unbearable as a dreary day". 
Alliteration was used when I wrote, "to hear you so simply speaking". 
Whenever the poem speaks of smiling, it is a symbol or metaphor for inner feelings. The smile represents this as something shown outwardly. 
Imagery was used when when I wrote, "for my laughter to speak joy" because laughter appeals to a person's sense of hearing.
The second stanza is ironic because the poem tells of how smiles can be "cheap and unbearable", which is completely contrary to what a smile would normally make you think of.  

As a note, I think I like this version of it better.





3 comments:

SamanthaMarie said...

I like this newer version better too. The first one was great in and of itself, but this one is more advanced. I guess these people with their poetic devices really know what they are talking about ;) It DOES add to the poem, weird! :D

That would be a BEAUTIFUL tattoo. I never knew what that word meant, but now that I do I think it's really awesome. God does delight in us and I think that's lovely.

I hate it when people play that weird little game "someone likes you, but I can't tell you who!" It always makes me feel awkward, especially around guys that it could potentially be. Lately it hasn't been much of an issue since I decided to wait to date anyone until college. I have to work on my relationship with Jesus, and work on myself for that matter, before I can be in a relationship with someone else.

I can tell you have a passion for God. That's really cool when you listened to him and went and talked to that girl. Plus, it opened up an avenue of opportunity for you and for her!

I've only barely heard of Flyleaf, and it's actually because of that song, Cassie. It's beautifully sad. I was reading a book called Jesus Freaks by DC Talk and it's about many different martyrs and how they died for Jesus. I would also hope and pray I could be that strong for Jesus since He died for me.

Sorry, this comment is a huge response to the past few blogs you've written, but since I've been gone, I wanted to catch up!! :)

I hope all has been going well lately. I'm really glad I found your blog (:

Stephanie said...

First thing's first... I love long written things! Or something like that.

I think the tattoo would be awesome and what more could I want than to delight God! Some people have problems with tattoos but here's my opinion: Well there's that verse in the old testament that says not to get tattoos but a lot of stuff in the old testament is written specifically to the Israelites and also in their time, but then there also stuff that's is still true to today like the ten commandments for example. So that's for your own discernment but my opinion is that you would need to consider whether it would reflect poorly on the people who you live around who don't know Christ, and then examine you're motivation behind getting one.

After having something like a week to think about which guy it could be and not knowing, now I just find it annoying. But on the up side it's made me think about my relationship with Jesus a lot more.

I don't remember exactly what I wrote about her in that blog but her name's Larissa and if you ever get a chance to pray for her please do it! And for my friendship with. I think she's been through a lot. But that class is an art class and a lot of my art is about God. Like I just finished graffitiing the word Hephzibah in my sketchbook, hey! I should do a blog about that I get a picture of it up here... Anyways, yeah, once again it would be superb if you could pray for her.

I've got a ton of respect for martyrs. Sometime ( I have no idea when) I'd love to go to China just to support the Christians who live there. That would be so cool. Thanks for keeping up with my blogs!

Stephanie said...

I'm just reading this again right now and I think it's probably the best thing I've ever written in my entire life. Even just thinking back to what I wrote it about at the time, because of the word choice and things, it means more to me. And I love it!