Saturday, March 29, 2008

Cassie Bernall, Rachel Scott and Flyleaf

So a couple of weeks ago I was at my church for an alnighter and someone had brought the game rock band. It's sweet but I sucked at the drums... But anyways someone made a comment that the band Flyleaf was a Christian band(their song I'm so sick is in the game). I had never heard of them and I didn't think much of it.

This past Friday, as in yesterday actually, my school shut off the lights for an hour for Earth Hour even though that happened today. My last period class we're always on computers but since the school was shutting off the lights for that hour my teacher was like what the heck turn off your computers, save some energy and just hang out. Some guy was doing magic trick and he had me fooled but I really don't have very many friends in that class just because of the way things turned out. So I found myself bored as some of the girls were talking about sleeping over with guys and junk like that and how it would be awkward to wake up and meet their parents. This blog isn't about that but, just as a note, it would be awkward because sleeping around is NOT ok !

By the end of the period, when it wasn't quite finished, God was just telling me to go over and talk with this one girl who used to be a really good student in like gr 9 but lately was getting into more drugs and dirty stuff like that or whatever. But I dismissed what he said. I just ignored what he said, which was wrong. But I got a second chance because at this point I was completely bored and figured I had nothing to lose. (As another note, I knew it was God because I wouldn't do that out of boredom, and the devil wouldn't tell me to be her friend). We talked. She showed me her sketchbook and were talking about art and stuff and she asked me if I had heard about the band Flyleaf, I said yes but had never really listened to their music. We also talked about how one of her past boyfriends, whom I had known, died (supposedly chocked to death by headphone cords by accident, but part of me thinks that it was suicide).

Not all of that was important to this blog, but I figured I'd give extra details just in case in the future I have some kind of really great witnessing opportunity to share the Gospel (or something amazingly awesome like that), you'd know some of the history. I'd hope blog about something cool like that when it happens.

So Flyleaf. I've heard about them twice now. Today I listened to some of their stuff on youtube. Their type of music is something like heavy metal rock , Christian rock that is. I don't know, it's not really my style but I might want to buy some of their music anyways.

This one song called Cassie really caught my attention though. I've listened to it more than any of the other ones so far. I knew what it was talking about pretty much the first time I had heard it, but then I realized that it was about real people and something that really happened. I'll put the lyrics up here quickly (and video):

The question asked in order
To save her life or take it
The answer no to avoid death
The answer yes would make it

Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger

All heads are bowed in silence
To remember her last sentence
She answered him knowing what would happen
Her last words still hanging in the air
In the air

Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger

How many will die
I will die
I, I will say yes

Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger
Do you believe in God
Do you believe in God
Do you believe in God
And I will pull the trigger


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwJIW-6bTt0

So the story is basically this: there was a shooting back in 1999 at Columbine. Cassie Bernall was Christian who had a gun pointed at her and was asked the question "Do you believe in God?" She answered yes and was killed right there for her faith. There was another girl Rachel Scott was also shot for her faith.

When the lead singer of the band, Lacey, sings "And I will pull the trigger" she's saying that she would would die for her faith too. Not that's a likely thing to happen at all but if I were to ever be in a situation where I could get killed for my faith, I hope to also be given the strength to die for it and be a martyr.

Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". I know I would be able to do it on my own so it would have to be all God. The faith of anyone who is willing to die for Jesus always amazes me. And I want that for myself!

So I'm gonna close this blog (one of my longest) by just saying that if you want to learn more about them you can google them. I'm pretty sure there are books of the two girls journals. I would encourage anyone who's interested to look into it. That's all, graffitigirl.

No comments: